Flooding in Southwestern Manitoba Closes Highways
- by Susan Green
Heavy rains in southwestern Manitoba have caused flooding in many areas. This has resulted in temporary highway closures, including the westbound lanes of the Trans Canada Highway, east of Brandon. A detour is in effect, via PR 457.
- All legal commercial vehicles as well as those moving under annual overdimensional/overweight permits up to 3.7 m wide, 4.6 m high and 31 m in length are able to use the detour.
- Long combination vehicles may also use the detour.
- All One Move permit holders must contact Permit Services at (204) 945-3961 or toll free at 1-877-812-0009 to be rerouted. The detour is not accessible for these loads.
- Given the recent forecast of additional precipitation, overdimensional and/or overweight loads should be delayed, when possible, from travelling through this region for the next 5 to 7 days.
- All commercial vehicle operators should be checking Manitoba 511 prior to travelling and starting their trip.
The Minnedosa area was also heavily impacted by these rains, so anyone travelling in that area is advised to plan their route carefully and with caution.