SmartWay Technologies Reduce Emissions Significantly
- by Christina Hryniuk
Over the past decade, technology has dramatically improved supply chain freight efficiency. The SmartWay Technology Program have accredited numerous innovative technologies, which fleets are adopting because of the return on investment.
EPA-verified technologies reduce emissions for tractors, trailers, and locomotives. It also saves fuel. EPA varies aerodynamic devices, idling reduction equipment, and retread low rolling resistance tires. It also designates trailers quipped with combinations of EPA-verified technologies as SmartWay Trailers.
Fleet managers can buy SmartWay Verified Technologies directly from manufacturers and dealers.
Aerodynamic Devices for Trailers
Adding aerodynamic devices to smooth airflow over a truck on the highway is relatively cheap and an easy way for fleets to improve fuel economy in long-haul tractor-trailer applications.
Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) New and Retread Tire
Technologies for tractors and trailers
Using the right tires cuts down on furl costs and harmful NOx emissions. Certain low rolling resistance tires and retread technologies can reduce cost and emissions for long-haul class 8 tractor-trailers by three percent or more.
To reach that reduction, the following requirements must be met:
- Tires are used on the axle positions for which verification is specified.
- Verified low rolling resistance tires are installed on all axle positions of the tractor and trailer. (Note: EPA has also demonstrated incremental fuel savings when low rolling resistance tires are used just on the tractor and/or just on the trailer.)
- All tires are properly inflated according to the manufacturer's specifications.
- Verified retread technologies are used on both the drive and trailer axles. (Note: EPA has also demonstrated incremental fuel savings when low rolling resistance tires are used just on the tractor and/or just on the trailer.)
- The retread technologies are used on the axle positions for which verification is specified.
- Verified low rolling resistance steer tires are used.
- All tires are properly inflated according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
Idling Reduction Technologies (IRTs) for trucks and school buses
In extreme weather conditions, truck divers must idle, but idling reduction technologies allow operators to shut down the main propulsion engine by using a device.
Each year, long-duration truck idling results in the following estimated figures:
- 1 billion gallons of fuel consumption
- 11 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2)
- 180,000 tons of nitrogen oxides (NOx)
- 5,000 tons of particulate matter (PM)
Looking to save money and reduce your carbon footprint? Join SmartWay.
The Manitoba Trucking Association encourages all trucking companies to better educate themselves with the myriad of benefits the SmartWay program provides. SmartWay will be hosting a free webinar on Feb. 26 at 10 a.m.
Greening Freight Programs invites you to join this Webex meeting.